Best Small French Press: Your Guide to Brewing on the Go
A coffee bean contains natural oils that protect and preserve its unique flavor, which is arguably enhanced by some of the leading brands’ best small French press coffee makers. A French press washes away these oils in the process of creating your dark and flavorful coffee, which involves forcing the coffee grounds to the bottom of a container and using just enough pressure not to burn the beans and grasp its concentrated flavor.
What Is a French Press?
A French press is also referred to as the coffee press, press pot, or a coffee plunger. It is a simple device preferred by coffee lovers because it allows you to have endless modifications on the taste of your coffee which makes it even more appealing. It is usually made up of a metal or glass cylindrical beaker with a plunger that fits in the cylinder, and a metal mesh or fine nylon filter.
With the fast-paced life that we live today, some manufacturers have decided to come up with compact French press coffee makers to cater to people who are always on the go. Let’s now talk about the top three products on the market today to help you choose which is the best for you.
Best Small French Press: Top Picks for 2018
We will lay down each item’s features, pros, and cons to help you in your search. Go ahead and read on!
Ohuhu Coffee Maker French Press
This French press can be used as a tea or coffee press pot. You simply need to put three to four tablespoons of coffee powder or ground coffee into hot water and then let it sit for two to four minutes. Using a clockwise direction, twist the plunger down the pot without too much effort, and then screw the lid tightly so you can start drinking.
- The Ohuhu French press has stainless steel solid interior with double-walled heat insulation to keep your coffee warm for longer periods.
- This coffee maker comes in a red wine exterior which is also cool to touch.
- It uses an advanced isolation technology which allows the coffee to stay on the upper section when the plunger is used.
- This French press has a mesh filter made from stainless steel to avoid grinds getting into your coffee.
- It is portable and lightweight which make it easy to carry around.
- This coffee maker from Ohuhu can make 12 ounces or 350 ml of coffee in one go.
- It measures 10.6 x 2.7 x 2.7 inches and weighs 1.06 pounds.
- Can be used for both hot and cold drinks
- Advanced isolation technology
- Spiral spring construction is 30% more effective in keeping the grounds away from your brew
- Storage or carrying pouch
- Easy to maintain and clean with just the use of the sponge brush it comes
- Little room for the coffee grounds which will not work for you if you prefer strong coffee
Planetary Design Double Shot French Press
Planetary Design is passionate about brewing the perfect coffee and backpacking through the wilderness. They invented storage for roasted coffee beans and ensured that the freshness and flavors are preserved. They aim to provide products that will complement your needs whether at home or outdoors.
- This French press from Planetary design has a black finish which is glossy and scratch-resistant.
- The materials are made from 18/8 stainless steel that is restaurant-grade.
- It has a double-walled interior construction.
- This coffee maker has an ultra-fine mesh screen that is made of stainless steel.
- This tool can produce 14 ounces of coffee in one go.
- It measures 2.76 x 2.76 x 8.66 inches and weighs 1.2 pounds.
- Designed to fit the standard car cup or drink holders
- Durable and high-quality materials making it ideal for travel use
- Handle is not made of stainless steel and can corrode over time.
BRBHOM Portable French Press Coffee Maker
This travel mug allows you to brew your tea and coffee on the go. You simply need to take the plunger out, put in the coffee grounds, then add the boiling water and let it sit for three to four minutes. When the time is up, you have to press the plunger down into the body to force the grounds to the bottom, and then tighten the lid before you drink your coffee.
- This French press is made from FDA-approved and high-quality stainless steel.
- It comes with double-walled vacuum insulation.
- This portable French press can produce 12 ounces of coffee in one go.
- This coffee maker measures 2.7 x 2.7 x 10.5 inches and weighs one pound.
- It uses a patented isolation system with a self-lock feature that separates the ground bits from the coffee. The recommended size of coarse coffee is about 28g.
- This product has a stainless steel mesh which is reusable.
- Easy to use
- Easy to clean
- Leak-proof which makes it ideal for traveling
- Advanced filter design prevents the coffee grounds from escaping into the carafe
- Paper is too thick not allowing even the coffee to pass through the filters
After comparing the features, pros, and cons of the top three products popular on the market today, which do you think we can consider as the best small French press? Our top pick is the Ohuhu Coffee Maker French Press. It is elegant, portable, and uses an advanced isolation technology to make sure that the grounds are filtered while you produce a flavorful coffee.
However, if you prefer a cheaper option, then go with the Planetary Design Double Shot French Press which has a higher capacity of 14 ounces compared to Ohuhu’s 12 ounces. The BRBHOM Portable French Press Coffee Maker, on the other hand, has almost the same design and size as the Ohuhu Coffee Maker French Press but is way more expensive.
Overall, we can say that they all can produce a good cup of coffee given that you use only quality coffee beans, of course. Also, each has its advantages and disadvantages. What you need to consider before spending your hard earned money on one would be your preference in terms of style, size of the item itself, the capacity of coffee it can produce, and cost.