Best French Press Travel Mug: A Review of Three Brands
Did you know that 44% of Americans say they can’t start the day without coffee? Coffee has become such an ingrained part of our morning ritual. Some opt to brew theirs at home while others choose to buy from coffee shops which, on average, sells them at $3.28 a cup. For people who are busy and always in a hurry but who don’t want to pay exorbitant amounts for good-tasting coffee, buying the best French press travel mug is the way to go.
Before you buy your French press travel mug, however, you need to know which basic things to look for. First is that it must be leak- or spill-proof. Driving or commuting, you need that mug sealed well to avoid hot coffee splashing on you, your vehicle, or the people next to you. A second thing to look at is the mug’s insulation capacity. Your beverage must be hot when it needs to be hot, or cold when it is expected to be cold even hours after you’ve prepared it.
We reviewed three French press travel mugs to make it easier for you to choose which might be best for you.
Bodum Tea and Coffee Press Travel Mug
- Made of stainless steel material
- Constructed with two walls, great for insulation
- Vacuum sealed, keeps coffee hot for hours
- Large capacity of 15 ounces
- Item Dimension is at 3.5 x 3.5 x 9.1 inches
- Weight: 0.875 pounds
- Combination of silicone and metal wire mesh filter
- Portable and Easy to Carry: The Bodum travel tea and coffee press is so convenient to carry anywhere. It only weighs 0.875 pounds. It has a vacuum-sealed top cover to protect the liquid from spilling over. The silicone non-skid rubber material is safe and comfortable to hold.
- Dual-Wall Insulation: Keep your tea or freshly brewed coffee hot or your cold drinks cold for hours because the Bodum travel press has a two-wall insulation design. Enjoy your coffee or iced tea on a long drive or at night while camping or serve cold drinks at the beach.
- Elegant and Modern Design: Bodum is known for making excellent kitchenware, and its portable mug designs can compete with the best. The press is made of stainless steel and wrapped around it is a silicone rubber for easy grip. The rubber comes in a variety of colors: Black, green, red, and white.
- The Plunger rod is not long enough. : The Bodum plunger is short by a few millimeters. The coffee grounds are not pressed thoroughly, and the bean extracts are not fully maximized, leaving some wastage and resulting in weak-tasting coffee.
- Coffee Grounds in Coffee: This travel mug does not have enough suction to sift through the coffee grounds which allows some to get into your drink.
- Inaccessible Beverage: While the mug can hold up to 15 ounces of liquid, only about 12 ounces is accessible because the plunger traps the rest. Even if you hold the mug upside down, the rest of the contents won’t pour out.
- Lid Leaks: This travel French press mug’s lid leaks which means you can’t store it away inside your bag while full of beverage.
BRBHOM Portable French Press Mug
- Stainless steel material, 304
- Insulation system has two walls; keeps beverage hot or cold for hours.
- Leak-proof, vacuum-sealed tumbler
- Portable and lightweight
- FDA approved, BPA-, BPS- and Phthalates-free material
- Holds up to 12 oz of liquid
- Product Dimension is at 2.7 x 2.7 x 10.5 inches
- Item Weight: 1.01 pounds
- Portable and Easy-to-Carry Travel Mug: The BRBHOM Portable French Press is lightweight. With a listed weight of only one pound, this item is a 100% traveler-friendly coffee press, a great companion for long journeys.
- Dual-Wall Insulation: Consume your choice beverage at a later time. Preserve your beverage the way you want it to be—hot and freshly brewed or ice-cold.
- Mechanically-Joined: All valve parts of this French press travel mug are mechanically-joined, so there is no chance of the parts getting lost or coming apart.
- Difficult to use: The filtration system allows clean and pure coffee or tea leaf extract to pass through. However, it is also difficult to press down, leaving a lot of coffee inside.
Stanley Classic Vacuum Travel Press Mug
- Made of 18/8 stainless steel material
- Vacuum insulation, leak-proof
- Large capacity of 15 ounces
- Item Dimension: 3.5 x 3.7 x 9.6 in
- Weight: 1.32 lbs.
- Vacuum Insulated: Hot drinks keep hot for four hours, cold for five hours, and iced cold drinks stay iced for 20 hours. It works so that that you might have to keep the lid off for some time if you don’t want your drink to be too hot.
- Does not Leak: The lid screws on securely allowing you to stash inside your backpack for long hikes without worrying about coffee spilling on your stuff
- Fine Mesh Filter: The screen mesh is very fine, allowing no grounds to get through to your drink.
- Easy Cleaning: The Stanley Classic Travel Press Mug is designed well that you can clean every crevice thoroughly.
- Too Heavy: At 1.32 pounds, the Stanley is a bit heavier compared to other French press mugs and is not very convenient to carry around.
- Doesn’t Fit Standard Cupholders: The Stanley Classic Vacuum Travel Press Mug is a little too big to fit most cup holders (car, cycling, or backpack holders).
Best French Press Travel Mug: Our Top Choice
The best French press travel mug must have at least four qualities: portable, durable, easy to use, and leak-proof. The Stanley Classic Vacuum Travel Press Mug has all these. Although it is a bit heavier than the other French press travel mugs, it makes up for it with its superior performance. Beverages that should be hot, stay hot while cold drinks stay cold for a long time.
While the Stanley mug doesn’t fit standard holders easily, since it’s spill-proof, you can just toss it in your bag or inside your car. A special loop also allows you just to clip it to your pack. It’s also very durable and can withstand a few drops. The mug is well-designed, allowing for easy cleaning and use. We believe that the Stanley Classic Vacuum Travel Press Mug would be a great investment for yourself or would do well as a gift for someone special.